Chailey Heritage Foundation is a leading charity dedicated to providing exceptional education and care for children and young adults with complex neurodisabilities, physical disabilities and health needs. Our state-of-the-art facilities and expert staff create a nurturing environment where individuals can thrive, reach their full potential and make a difference to their lives and that of their families.
We are looking for Garden Volunteers to come and work under the supervision and direction of the Lead Gardener undertaking a variety of tasks.
What will you be doing?
- Hand weeding, hoeing, raking, staking, deadheading, tying-in plants and cutting back the flower and shrub borders and hedging
- Division and propagation of plants and planting
- Watering and feeding plants, trees and shrubs
- Maintaining good access e.g. paths maintenance
- Mulching and manuring borders.
What you will gain by Volunteering:
A sense of satisfaction and belonging, knowing you are helping the young people and families of the Charity to enjoy the outdoors and have safe spaces to socialise or spend time in quiet contemplation
Meeting a variety of new people who express delight in the gardens they work in.
Opportunity for others to learn and benefit from your skills and experiences
Being part of a small friendly team – there are usually 2 or 3 gardening volunteers working at the same time.
Training and Support:
- Volunteers will be given an induction of the site and gardens and are required to attend an initial mandatory training session that includes Safeguarding, Fire Safety, Manual Handling (brief online video); and any other occasional training/ information sessions deemed necessary.
- Volunteers must also be prepared to undertake regular updating of mandatory training as and when required.
- You will find all our staff and volunteers very friendly and approachable, and grateful for any assistance you can give.
For this role, we ask that volunteers should be prepared to make a regular commitment but considering the seasonal requirements of a garden. Our gardening volunteers usually work on a Wednesday morning, and we understand that it may not be possible for our volunteers to help every week
All volunteering opportunities at Chailey Heritage Foundation will require an volunteer disclosure check by the DBS – this does not mean that you cannot volunteer for us if you have a previous conviction. Chailey Heritage Foundation conforms to all aspects of the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974.
Volunteers are required to abide by all policies and procedures within Chailey Heritage Foundation at all times.
For an informal discussion please call our People Team on 01825 724444/ Ext. 709